Hydrochlorothiazide, usually sold under the brand names Microzide or Hydrodiuril, belongs to a class of drugs called diuretics or “water pills”. It is administered to bring down high blood pressure while treating serious ailments like strokes, heart attacks and chronic kidney diseases. The drug is said to remove excess salt and water from the body, which aids in reducing swelling. Usually consumed orally in a capsule or tablet form, it works by making the patient pass more urine. (1)
Maintaining the optimum dosage and intake timing regimen is vital for achieving the desired therapeutic efficacy. The usual dosage for Hydrochlorothiazide is 0.5 mg to 1 mg per pound per day, consumed in a single dose or two divided dosages. The maximum daily dosage per day usually does not exceed 100 mg (1).
Like any drug, some of the common side effects that a patient may experience as a result of consuming this medicine include the following (2):
- Blood pressure that is even lower than normal
- Tingling in the hands, legs and feet
- Erectile dysfunction
- Blurry vision
- A severe side effect includes kidney disease with acute shortness of breath, chest pain, less urine than usual and heavy swelling in the legs and feet.
Some preventive measures need to be taken before the consumption of these “water pills” (3):
- Hydrochlorothiazide can interfere with certain other medications. Make sure you inform your doctor about all the other medications you are on before starting on any course of this drug. For example, Hydrochlorothiazide can shoot up sugar levels, especially if consumed with drugs for Diabetes. In such a scenario, your doctor may increase the dosage of your medicines for Diabetes.
- The medicine may cause dizziness in some patients who should thus refrain from driving or using any machines until they feel more “alert”.
- Alcohol, narcotic pain relievers and sleeping pills, when combined with this medicine, may make the patient feel lightheaded, dizzy or sometimes even faint. It thereby becomes essential for it to be consumed with utmost discretion and under the supervision of your doctor.
Shubham Pharmachem: Contributing to the future of healthcare
With an illustrious professional journey touching three decades now, Shubham Pharmachem is a top merchant export organization with core competencies in Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients (API), herbal extracts, nutraceutical ingredients as well as cosmetic ingredients. The company’s wide range of diverse, quality products cater to newborns as well as ageing adults. It has thrived on its cutting-edge technology and its team of dedicated, experienced professionals to make a mark in this crucial sector of the pharmaceutical industry in India. This top brand has consistently earned the trust of its Indian and global clientele by committing to the highest standards of quality, excellence in relationships and strong company ethics built on honesty, fairness and integrity.
Shubham Pharmachem’s blog posts have been written with the information gathered from approved medical journals and websites online. Our research and the technical team strives to provide relevant information through such articles. We strongly advise readers to not consume or administer any medication without prior consultation with their doctor.
1) Medicinenet. Why is hydrochlorothiazide prescribed to patients? [online]. Available at: https://www.medicinenet.com/hydrochlorothiazide/article.htm
2) MedicalNewsToday. Side effects. [online] Available at: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/hydrochlorothiazide-oral-tablet#Highlights-for-hydrochlorothiazide
3) MayoClinic.org. Oral Route. [online]. Available at: https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/hydrochlorothiazide-oral-route/precautions/drg-20071841#:~:text=This%20medicine%20may%20cause%20some,when%20used%20with%20this%20medicine.