Being ‘mindful about the mind’ – To Avoid Anxiety Attacks!
Treatment of physical ailments has always been prioritised over the treatment of mental disorders. Over the years, there has been an increase in awareness, and people are now more sensitive towards such ailments. A timely diagnosis, proper medications, and empathy from those around can heal and cure an individual in ways unimagined.
Panic and anxiety attacks are two of the most common mental disorders prevailing today. Alprazolam is a tried and tested solution for such troubles.
History of the Chemical Formula
This unique chemical formula was first developed by J.P Hester at Upjohn Company in 1971 and later approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA, US) in 1981. Since its approval and commercial availability, Alprazolam has been commonly recommended by leading psychiatrists.
How does Alprazolam work?
Alprazolam is classified as a benzodiazepine – that acts as a sedative reducing hyper brain activity. It is also sold under the brand name Xanax and provides short term relief from anxiety.
Medical advancement and research have found that it has anti-anxiety producing properties and can also be used to cure depression.
Alprazolam binds to a particular portion on the gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) receptor in the central nervous system to reduce the transmission of neural impulses associated with anxiety and panic in the brain (1).
Alprazolam – from rare to common
“It is with diseases of the mind, as with those of the body; we are half dead before we understand our disorder, and half cured when we do” – Edwin Davies.
American Psychological Association reports that 1 out of every 75 people suffer from anxiety attacks or panic disorder. Records show that more than 48 million prescriptions had been dispensed in the United States in 2013 and 25 million in 2017 to cure such disorders (2).
Alprazolam is the most common psychotropic medication dispensed in the US. However, the dosage needs to be tapered down during the treatment to prevent long term side effects on the body and to avoid instances of dependency and drug abuse.
Common side effects
There are some common side effects of Alprazolam, such as dry mouth, drowsiness, dizziness, etc. The severe side effects include hallucinations, suicidal thoughts, loss of coordination, memory loss, yellowing eyes or seizures. It is strongly advised to seek medical help if any of these symptoms occur (3).
Precaution is better than cure!
Alprazolam tends to be habit-forming. It is advised to take the following precautions:
- Consult the doctor if you feel you are allergic to benzodiazepines.
- Be sure to disclose any and all of your medical history especially related to lungs, kidney, and liver diseases or a family history of substance abuse.
- Avoid alcoholic beverages when you are on the medication and avoid driving or operating heavy machinery as your alertness may be affected.
- Avoid Alprazolam during pregnancy and breast-feeding as it might cause potential harm to the child (4).
- In case of overdose seek immediate medical assistance. It could be potentially life-threatening.
Over the years, Alprazolam has received much attention in medical journals and research. There are some tragic incidents of overdose and toxicity due to chemical interactions of Alprazolam proven to be fatal.
Tom Petty, a chart-topping singer and songwriter, lost his life in 2017 from accidental chemical toxicity from mixing Alprazolam and Opioids leading to a cardiac arrest (5).
An unforgettable death of Heath Ledger in 2008 resulted because of a lethal combination of prescribed drugs containing three benzodiazepines – Alprazolam, Diazepam and Temazepam (5).
Such reported incidents urgently called for precautionary monitoring of the medicine intake. Well-reputed psychiatrists and expert medical practitioners suggested gradual tapering down of the dosage to avoid such mishaps and dependencies.
Alprazolam is now available as 0.25 or 0.5 mg tablets to curb the increasing level of drug abuse (6).
Alprazolam vs Anxiety Attack
With a wide array of solutions to mental health problems, pushing the panic button is no longer a requirement!
Timely prognosis and a diagnosis can help eradicate common anxiety and panic-related issues with the readily available Alprazolam as suggested by your medical expert.
Trusted Exports: Shubham Pharmachem
Shubham Pharmachem is an Indian company exporting Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients (API) across the world. It caters high-quality products to 611 companies throughout 70 nations with a turnover of USD 75 million. Dedicated to enhancing value-added services and solutions to the customers with its commitment to good health and wellness, Shubham Pharmachem also supplies API related to Alprazolam – for a seamless solution to Anxiety and Panic Disorder.
Shubham Pharmachem’s blog posts have been written with the information gathered from approved medical journals and websites online. Our research and technical team strives to provide relevant information through such articles. We strongly advise readers to not consume or administer any medication without prior consultation with their doctor.
- Encyclopedia Britannica – Alprazolam | Description, Uses, & Side Effects. [online] Encyclopedia Britannica. Available at: https://www.britannica.com/science/alprazolam
- Statista. Alprazolam prescriptions number U.S. 2004-2017 | Statista. [online] Statista. Available at: https://www.statista.com/statistics/781816/alprazolam-sodium-prescriptions-number-in-the-us/
- Medlineplus. Alprazolam: MedlinePlus Drug Information. [online] Medlineplus.gov. Available at: https://medlineplus.gov/druginfo/meds/a684001.html
- RxList. Slideshow: A Visual Guide to Generalized Anxiety Disorder. [online] RxList. Available at: https://www.rxlist.com/generalized_anxiety_disorder_slideshow_pictures/article.htm
- Prnewswire. CCHR: Another Celebrity Lost to Benzodiazepines and Opioids Mix. [online] Prnewswire.com. Available at: https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/cchr-another-celebrity-lost-to-benzodiazepines-and-opioids-mix-300588100.html
Ait-Daoud, N., Hamby, A., Sharma, S. and Blevins, D., 2018. A Review of Alprazolam Use, Misuse, and Withdrawal. Available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5846112/.