Complicated abdominal and urinary tract infections (UTIs) cause a lot of pain and uneasiness to the people who face them. A practical and recent solution to this is the development of Doripenem.
Doripenem is an intravenous injection. The medication belongs to the class of carbapenem antibiotic medicines, which are highly effective treatments for high risk-bacterial diseases. It works by reacting to penicillin-binding proteins (PBPs) located in the bacterial cell wall. The bacterial cell wall eventually breaks due to a hindrance in synthesizing an essential part of the wall, peptidoglycan. (1)
When not to use Doripenem:
Despite being a recent and influential development in the field, it has not been approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) on patients who develop pneumonia in hospital ventilators. (2)
It is not used for viral infections like flu or cold as using antibiotics when not required as their intake can cause more problems than solutions.
The severity of the problem determines the length of the treatment process. The effect of each dose lasts approximately for 8 hours and is usually administered by a medical professional.
Doripenem is quite adequate, as mentioned, and you will feel better after a few doses. (2) However, don’t fluctuate the amount by yourself. Your doctor will put you on lower doses as and when required.
Precautions to keep in mind while using the medication:
Being a powerful drug, Doripenem has some precautions to be aware of. It will ensure safe usage without overdose and not cause any side effects.
Make sure you keep the below points in mind before and during treatment with Doripenem:
- Make sure your doctor knows your medical history well. They must be aware of any other medicines and the dose you for the same. Drugs could react with each other and cause unforeseen and unwanted problems.
- If you miss out on a dose, don’t compensate by taking a double dose.
- Make sure to mention allergies or any significant disease you might or still face. A proper diagnosis will help your doctor prescribe you the right amount of medication.
- If you plan to start your family, are pregnant, or are breastfeeding, inform your doctor.
- Mention any history of allergies related to similar drugs to your doctor for a proper diagnosis.
- Always keep your medical professional updated with your development. Let your doctor know if you don’t feel better after a few doses.
- Don’t treat any medical problems you face during the treatment while on Doripenem medication with any off the counter drugs. First, consult your doctor!
- Diarrhoea should not be treated using common drugs. If you have been facing the issue with it for more than a couple of days, update your doctor immediately. (3)
Side effects of administrating Doripenem:
Certain drugs might have inevitable side effects and should be bought to your doctor’s immediate attention:
- Any allergic reaction
- Constant itching or rash
- Blisters on the skin, inside the mouth, the nose or eyes.
- Excessive body ache
- Weakness or fatigue
- Difficulty in breathing
These are severe side effects and should be treated immediately.
Other issues which are common include:
- Pain, redness and swelling where the injection was administered.
- Diarrhoea (Should be treated immediately if watery and long after the medications have started)
Shubham Pharmachem: Revolutionizing Healthcare
Shubham Pharmachem has been a top merchant export organization for manufacturing Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients (API), herbal extracts, nutraceutical ingredients, cosmetic ingredients, and other pharmaceutical medicines for more than three decades now. This reputed brand has been trusted by patients, chemists, hospitals, and its solid client base, globally. The organization is highly customer-oriented and believes in the quality and timely supply of superior medicines at economical prices.
For more details, visit www.shubham.co.in
Shubham Pharmachem’s blog posts have been written with the information gathered from approved medical journals and websites online. Our research and technical teams strive to provide relevant information through such articles. We strongly advise readers to not consume or administer any medication without prior consultation with their doctor.