Osteoarthritis (OA) is a common joint disorder and a significant cause of disability in adults. The symptoms of OA include joint pain, tenderness, stiffness, inflammation, and creaking of the joints. Flurbiprofen finds application in the conventional medical treatment of OA to reduce the pain. Treatment usually involves the use of NSAIDs (Non-Steroidal Anti Inflammatory) drugs.
Flurbiprofen – Role in Medicine
Flurbiprofen is a member of the phenyl alkanoic acid derivative family and a prescription nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory (NSAID) drug. It effectively alleviates pain and inflammation in conditions like rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis and gout. Furthermore, it also helps relieve muscle pain, joint pain, menstrual pain and toothache.
Flurbiprofen works by inhibiting cyclooxygenase and prostaglandin synthesis. These effects reduce inflammation, inhibit platelet aggregation (prevent blood clots), and reduce pain and fever. The oral form of this medication begins to have its effect within a few hours. Furthermore, the effects wear off within 12 to 24 hours. Additionally, its other forms work faster than the oral formulation. Their effects last for as long as the effects of the oral form.
Warnings in Use
- Flurbiprofen can increase your risk of fatal heart attack or stroke, even if risk factors are absent. The drug should not be administered just before or after heart bypass surgery.
- It may also cause stomach or intestinal bleeding, which can be fatal. These conditions occur without warning, especially in older adults.
- Avoid flurbiprofen if the patient is allergic to the drug.
- The medical practitioner must know about any persistent heart disease conditions, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes or if the patient smokes.
- Notify the medical professional about any history of blood clotting, stroke, stomach ulcers, bleeding, asthma, liver or kidney disease or fluid retention.
- Flurbiprofen should be avoided during pregnancy unless under medical prescription. Using an NSAID in the last 20 weeks can harm the unborn baby or cause pregnancy complications.
- Lactating mothers should best avoid the use of pain killers such as flurbiprofen.
- Avoid administration in cases of children younger than 18 years old.
- Avoid using flurbiprofen with other medications such as lithium, methotrexate, blood thinners, and heart or blood pressure medication.
- Avoid drinking alcohol while drug therapy is on, as it increases the risk of stomach bleeding.
- Common side effects include indigestion, stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, tremors, nervousness, diarrhoea, constipation, drowsiness, itching, and increased sweating.
- Stop flurbiprofen in case of a skin rash, shortness of breath, rapid weight gain, and stomach bleeding. Be mindful of any signs of jaundice, such as dark urine, clay-coloured stools, yellowing of the eyes, and shortness of breath.
- Seek emergency medical aid if side effects like skin infection, heart attack or weakness on one side of the body.
- In the administration of oral flurbiprofen, take it with food or a full glass of water (8 ounces) to avoid stomach upset. Do not lie down for at least 10 minutes after taking this drug.
- In the event of a missed dose, you can take it when you can. But if it is almost time for your next dose, you should not double up on the dose, as this can increase the risk of adverse events.
- Oral flurbiprofen tablets should be stored at a room temperature of 20°C to 25°C (68°C to 77°F), with excursions permitted between 15°C to 30°C (59°F to 86°F)
Shubham Pharmachem: Committed to the best in healthcare
Shubham Pharmachem is a merchant export and distribution organisation with core competencies in Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients (API), herbal extracts, nutraceutical ingredients and nutricosmetic ingredients, and research-based formulations. They have been providing their services to other pharmaceutical companies since the 1990s. The company is committed to providing innovative solutions and caters to over 70 countries globally.
High professional standards and diversification and expansion of businesses have propelled the group turnover by 400% within ten years. Committed to the highest healthcare standards, Shubham Pharmachem has earned the trust of its national and global clientele through its strong company values of ethics, reliability and responsibility.
For enquiry on other products, visit www.shubham.co.in.
Shubham Pharmachem’s blog posts have been written with the information gathered from approved medical journals and websites online. Our research and technical teams strive to provide relevant information through such articles. We strongly advise readers to not consume or administer any medication without prior consultation with their doctor.