Green Tea- A drink for your well-being
Touted as one of the healthiest beverages on the planet, green tea has steadily gained popularity across the world and in India. Unlike most teas that are made through the process of fermentation, green tea is made from the leaves of the Camellia sinensis plant. The fresh leaves are steamed at a high temperature, pan-fried and left to dry out. An important molecule present in this process is known as polyphenols, which is mainly responsible for the innumerable benefits that green tea provides. The useful parts of green tea are it’s leaf, stem and leaf bud.
Many caffeine-lovers have replaced their daily intake of coffee with green tea. The reason being that the beverage contains 2% to 4% caffeine, enough to stimulate the nervous system and make one more alert and proactive.(1)
Health Benefits of Green Tea
Loaded with antioxidants and bioactive compounds, green tea has several proven benefits. Some of them being:
- Helps in burning calories: Green tea is popularly known for its weight loss properties. The reason being that it is rich in ingredients like catechins and caffeine and it is the combination of these ingredients that contribute to the infamous benefit of green tea helping weight loss. Caffeine and catechins regulate hormones that promote thermogenesis which is the process through which our body burns calories to digest food and creates heat. A few studies show that the effects of green tea extract on weight loss, though present and modest.(2)
- Promotes heart health – Green tea extract contains antioxidants that help lower inflammation and blood pressure. They also help lower blood fat levels by inhibiting fat absorption in cells. As high blood pressure and blood fat levels are risk factors for heart disease, lowering them can promote heart health and live a healthier life.
- Improves brain function – Green tea extract has been found to improve brain health and cognition. It also assists in preventing brain disorders. It’s antioxidants protect the brain cells from oxidative stress and this protection can lead to a decline in illnesses like Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s, and dementia.
- Healthier and youthful skin- Whether applied directly on the skin or taken orally as a supplement, green tea has shown to boost the skin’s health. Skin concerns like rosacea, warts and dermatitis can be treated with green tea extracts. In some cases the extract has helped maintain the elasticity of skin and prevent premature ageing and inflammation. Several companies in the beauty and wellness sector have utilized this benefit by adding green tea extract to cosmetic and skincare products.
Other benefits- Apart from the aforementioned benefits, green tea offers other medicinal advantages like increasing blood sugar tolerance, bettering exercise performance and recovery, maintaining cell health and improving liver function.
An easy ingredient to add to your diet
Green tea extract is a simple way to add health-boosting antioxidants to your diet, whether you want to enhance your overall health or reduce your risk of disease.It is readily available in various types and forms. Some of them being : (3)
- Oral supplements and capsules
- Instant powder
- Tea bags
- Artificial sweeteners or bottled and sweetened with sugar
- Loose leaves
- Liquid extracts
Studies show that the recommended dosage of green tea is around 1.2 litres which approximately amounts to 3-5 cups in a day. Green tea consumed in excessive amounts may lead to health concerns due to its caffeine content especially for people with diabetes or cardiovascular diseases.
Shubham Pharmachem: Revolutionizing the concept of healthcare
For almost three decades now, Shubham Pharmachem has been a top merchant export organization in the country when it comes to manufacturing Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients (API), herbal extracts, nutraceutical ingredients, cosmetic ingredients and other pharmaceutical medicines. This reputed brand has been trusted by patients, chemists, hospitals, and its strong client base, globally. Highly customer-oriented, the organization believes in quality and timely supply of superior medicines at economical prices.
For more details, visit www.shubham.co.in
Shubham Pharmachem’s blog posts have been written with the information gathered from approved medical journals and websites online. Our research and technical team strives to provide relevant information through such articles. We strongly advise readers to not consume or administer any medication without prior consultation with their doctor.